In the Philippines we encourage volunteer participation with Large Marine Vertebrates Association on their whale shark research projects in Oslob and Leite. Students on our Bohol programmes will get a great seminar from Dr Ponzo abotu the whaleshark research.
Marine Conservation Projects for Divemasters & Dive Instructors. Educating & Inspiring Dive Professionals to Conserve Our Marine Environment. Volunteering your time to help will give you a great experience and loads of knowledge plus go toward increasing our understanding of these magnificent animals.
Dive-Careers students in Bohol will also have the opportunity to assist with a coral planting project enthusiastically supported by us on Alona Beach. You will do your part towards maintaining quality diving and a healthy environment in the Philippines
MARINE CONSERVATION PROJECTS IN BOHOL Philippines
CORAL PROPAGATION WORKSHOP
This workshop by Ocean Quest is an introductory level training program that teaches the participants proper techniques in coral propagation. It is intended to educate the public in coral propagation for the purpose of broad scaled coral propagation. Scientific information and findings are made into simplified education system suitable for use by the public and communities at tropical islands. By increasing the population of people knowledgeable about coral propagation it is possible to make restoration work on larger scale and more systematic way.
There are six important chapters in the Coral Propagation Handbook:
- 1. Introduction to Coral Propagation – subject includes the benefits of coral propagation to the society and environment.
- 2. Corals – subject includes types and forms of corals, their importance in the marine environment, coral reproduction and more.
- 3. Equipment for Coral Propagation – a comprehensive subject covering all aspect of the equipment and instruments for coral propagation.
- 4. Coral Broodstock Extraction and Handling – this subject covers proper procedures of extraction and handling corals. This is crucial step to ensure minimal impact and stress on the organism during the propagation process.
- 5. Substrate – a subject that covers all types of substrates used in coral restoration, their advantages and disadvantages. It includes an overview of all man-made materials and natural substrates.
- 6. Coral Propagation Methods and Techniques – this subject covers the coral propagation techniques invented by Ocean Quest.
Time: 1 day (2 dives) - Cost: 6,000 PHP
CORAL PROPAGATION COURSE
Corals are living organisms that is very sensitive to changes is its environment. Handling corals during restoration may cause undue stress to it that could lead to high rate of mortality. With proper training and guidelines, it could help increase success rate of coral propagation and reduce damage due to mishandling of the organisms. The Ocean Quest Coral Propagation Course is a comprehensive module that is aimed at developing deeper understanding of the coral propagation techniques. Higher level of knowledge on coral handling and broodstock extraction is taught in this course. Site preparation, equipment and monitoring methods is also included in the course.
The methodology introduced by Ocean Quest is a result of their own research and is incorporated in the Ocean Quest educational systems. By adhering to their belief that their last student is their best student, we continually achieve highest program standards. Their courses are well thought-through, considering every factor of participant safety as well as lowest impact to the environment. Materials for their courses are written and compiled by their experts without duplication of other coral education systems. Ocean Quest have also established progression of training for coral propagation so the public can begin from the most simple techniques and progressively attain complex knowledge and skills.
Time: 3 days (4 dives) - Cost: 13,000 PHP